I know it takes tons of research and time to choose an overlock sewing machine so since I had to take the time myself, I’m going to tell you all about my findings in this article. Maybe it’ll help you save your time and maybe even begin to overlock tomorrow. Just imagine!
Why should you buy an Overlocker?
- Beautiful baby clothes look when you get creative with one of these little machines so an overlocker is the ultimate tool for young mothers or grandmothers who want to sew for their little ones.
- Even though working with four spools of thread can be intimidating at first, once you’ve mastered it, you’ll not only be able to finish the hems in a professional manner but also make all sorts of fun clothing.
- Apart from the fact that it’ll be a great addition to your sewing room, once you’ve got an overlock machine at home, you’ll be wondering why it took you so long before buying one of these.
- While you could go crazy some decades ago trying to thread one of these, nowadays the best overlock sewing machines out there come with color-coded threading guides making the process much easier. YouTube is also full of detailed videos about every single model so if you wanted to, you might even skip reading the manual guide.
And now, find a comparison chart of overlock machines below to help you pick your best choice.
Best Overlock Machines Comparison Chart
*Speed Per Minute: referring to the number of stitches a machine can perform in a minute.
Top 9 Best Overlock Machines
Ideal for: Lovers of Singer who will take the time to learn how to use.
Since it is one of the users’ best-rated overlock machines, I wanted to include Singer 14CG754 in this list and tell you all about its advantages and drawbacks so that you can judge for yourself.
The most common challenges users face with this model are related to both tension and threading. Nonetheless, and in all honesty, these issues are mostly due to not having the appropriate information prior to starting using this model.
Luckily for you, I’m going to give you the best tip to help you skip all the trouble: be careful not to pass the thread in between disk and tension dial, since it would untighten the tension on the threads and hence cause the machine to miss stitches and sometimes snap the thread.
Threading this machine needs you to be patient and to watch enough videos on the matter. Think thoroughly and pay attention to the instructions, once you’ve mastered the threading, you will realize that this is such a simple machine that even a beginner can learn its wonders. As always, after the initial learning curve, you will be able to give overlocking a try before buying a more expensive one.
It really is one of the better-priced choices and happens to make beautiful stitches but notice that if you are left-handed, it will be a bit difficult to thread it. Lastly, some say it can be a bit noisy, but again not more than a regular sewing machine.
- Reasonably priced for a beginner
- Free Arm for cuffs and pants.
- Extra-High Presser Foot Lifter to stitch through thick fabrics.
- LED Lighting that lasts longer and stays cool to the touch.
- Tricky threading if you don’t have proper advice, although now you do.
- Threading system not recommended for people with arthritis.
Ideal for: Users who are devoted fans of Brother 1034D but are right-handed.
If you’re right-handed and want to get a best seller that fits a tight budget, Brother 1034DX is the ultimate overlocker for you. You can do a lot more than overlock the seams with this overlocking machine. You can get as creative as you wish with rolled hems, blind hems, or ruffles and, in addition, finish hems on heavy-duty fabrics, quilts, or four layers of hemp fleece without getting jammed.
In addition, this overlock comes with LED light creating a lighter workspace that is ideal for those with tired eyes, which can also help them finish the edges and hems more effectively on a wide variety of fabrics, as well as make stunning decorative edges or ruffles. Another fantastic advantage is that you can decide whether or not to use the knife when overlocking, depending on the finish you want.
In fact, the secret blade would also enable you to use it as a measuring point to slide over the edge of your project without cutting it while you are not using it. However, you should only buy this overlock model over other products from brands like Janome or Juki if you can’t afford a more expensive 3-4 thread one.
- Designed for the Right-Handed.
- LED light for a brighter workspace.
- Gathering and Blind Hem Feet Included.
- Saving loads of money in needles since it takes Standard Sewing Machine Needles.
- Free Arm.
- Loud vibration that you can solve by placing a cork base under it.
Ideal for: First-time users looking for a cheap serger.
A big advantage for the Janome MOD-8933 is that the housing of the machine opens up to make the entire thread route easily accessible, making it super reachable for cleaning and oiling tasks as well.
Its retractable upper knife allows you to work on projects that don’t necessarily require fabric cutting which increases safety, especially for beginners who are new to overlock threading and are less familiarized with all of its components.
Like some other machines, this model also comes with rubber feet helping to keep it in place while overlocking and making the stitch even and precise. Another interesting detail is that this model has the dials placed on the right side of the machine which makes it especially convenient for right-handed people.
You should also know that, as long as you always check and reset the tension adjustment before changing materials, this robust model can easily handle thick fabrics such as tweed, denim, coating, and others.
You will be amazed at how this overlock machine can quickly switch to a rolled hem stitch without changing the foot, allowing you to produce lettuce edge hems and sleeves without adjusting any tension dial. In addition, it can also do gathering by changing certain specific changes in the machine settings such as stitch length, presser foot pressure, tension, and feed dog all with the same standard foot.
Some other special stitches like narrow hem and picot hem can also be performed with Janome MOD-8933.
- Heavier than Brother models making more stable when overlocking.
- Stronger loopers than Brother models, therefore, less prone to snap and break.
- Dust cover included.
- No free arm.
- No two thread stitches, only 3 and 4 thread ones.
- It doesn’t take standard sewing machine needles.
Ideal for: Users who want a machine with accessories included. Piping Lovers and left-handed users.
Brother DZ1234 overlock machine is the right model for you if what you’re looking for is a low-cost machine that comes with some optional attachments including a piping foot, a blind hem, and a gathering one at no extra cost.
It’s ideal for you, as well, if you’re always dreaming of having a basic seam finishing overlock and don’t want to pay Janome or Juki prices.
You’re going to be able to get super innovative with all its possibilities.
You’ll stitch sewing knits or tie them with 4 thread overlock stitches and finish suits, blouses and slacks, or get creative with rolled hemming stitches, pipes, blind hems, rolled edges, or even narrow overlocks thanks to the three thread options.
If you’re in doubt as to what Brother overlock machine to choose, think about aesthetics. If you prefer a delicate-looking overlock, pick Brother 1034DX and its pastel colors. Or else, go to the masculinity of DZ1234.
Buying Brother DZ1234 with its included piping foot could be cheaper than buying the 1034DX plus the piping foot.
- Includes Gathering, Blind Hem and Piping Feet
- Disengage the Blade with the flip of a Switch
- Perfect for Left-Handed Users
- Low Learning Curve for General Use
- Masculine Look.
- Helps you save money since it takes Standard Sewing Machine Needles
- Free Arm.
- Gathering Foot takes time to learn how to use
- Presser Foot has a slow start
- One screw controls both needles, which makes the task slightly tricky
- Included Spools of Thread break easily. Use them for tasks like thread basking quilts or such.
- Old fashioned light bulb that is easily changeable for a LED light.
Ideal for: Users looking for a 2-3 thread overlock that is top quality.
The Janome MOD-8933 overlocker feels extraordinarily well-made, with all its components strongly built together and easily reachable allowing you to access the hardest threading with ease.
If the main purpose you want to use it for is to simply overlock the edge of the fabric to prevent fraying, this overlocking machine is the perfect home model.
Besides, it’s so economic and provides such a good quality of stitches that it becomes the ultimate tool to always have prepared for a quick overlocking. No matter the fabric’s weight, thick or thin, Juki MO-623 will run beautifully delivering the most even stitch you could expect.
You can’t really go wrong with a Juki, just decide if a machine with 2-3 thread stitches is enough for your needs and start enjoying the wowing quality of stitch of this little gem.
Make sure to always keep it dust-free and well oiled and any machine from this top-notch brand will last you for decades to come.
- Strongly built without plasticky feeling.
- No cut-away remnant catch tray.
Ideal for: Users who want an affordable and top quality overlock.
The low learning curve of this machine makes it perfect for you if this is your first overlock machine and you want outstanding stitch quality from the start. You’ll be able to overlock woven fabrics, make hats or jackets, and serge all kinds of clothing, including sweaters.
You’ll be amazed at how heavy this machine is, plus, the knife will still cut through the thickest sweaters after continued use.
Its lighter weight and handle make it perfect for small sewing rooms with limited space, and even if your kids try to lift it up, its suction cups will keep it in place, and although it does not have bells and whistles, it is worth every penny. You will be amazed at how quiet and smooth it is after you’ve tried how reliable it is, able to beautifully stitch rolled hem, as well as rolled hem satin stitch, lettuce edges, gathering or flat locking.
This overlocking machine is even used by experienced fashion designers to sew on all sorts of fabrics without missing a stitch, from fleece and denim layers to cotton lycra, or silk chiffon.
The ideal upgrade from any 4-thread Brother or Janome overlock computer is without a doubt the Juki MO644D overlock. This model will beat its overall quality for an unbeatable price, no matter how strong and hard-working your previous machine was. It really is the perfect 4 thread machine complement to your sewing room.
- Worth every penny.
- Excellent quality of stitches.
- Juki reputation.
- Favorite of fashion designers.
- I haven’t found any.
Ideal for: Sewers looking for a good combo machine.
Singer 14T968DC is an overlock and coverstitch combo machine that can create stitches of up to 5 threads for a wide variety of stitch combinations that include chainstitch and a few more covertitch options. It’s got so many possibilities that you’re going to have to take a few moments to consider which stitch to use, so if what you want is the opportunity to play around, this is your machine.
It comes with a few feet in the package, including an elastic foot, to work on swimwear or underwear, a beading foot that allows you to attach embellishments to your garments, and a shirring foot that simultaneously gathers a fabric while attaching it to a second flat one.
To conclude, let me add that this is a strongly built, remarkably quiet machine and that each time the stitches are flawless. It comes with an auto-tension dial and extra high clearance of the presser foot, making it easy to operate on bulky fabrics and without doing much, still have the appropriate thread tension.
- Absolute professional finish.
- Cutting collector tray.
- LED Ligthing.
- Soft Cover to keep it from dust making it cleaner and last longer.
- Coverstitch function.
- Doesn’t have a free arm.
Ideal for: Users who want a self-threading overlock or have sight issues or arthritis.
The Juki 1000 is a great choice for those looking to try an overlocking machine, thanks to the many advanced features that it contains. For example, the addition of looper air threading capabilities means that you’ll no longer have to struggle to properly thread your machine, as a burst of air makes this process nearly automatic. With the primary pain point of thread switching taken care of, users will find themselves switching threads more often thanks to this machine’s ease of use.
Other features that this machine is capable of include more advanced sewing techniques such as rolled hems and both three-thread and four-thread overlocking options. In addition, the user is given nearly complete control of both stitch length and width (max stitch length 4mm, max overlock width 9mm), this makes customizing stitches for your project a breeze.
So, as we hope you can agree, the Juki 1000 Serger machine is a great choice for those that are new to using an overlock machine or those that just want an easy way to incorporate overlocking techniques into their next project. Below we have listed some additional benefits and considerations that this machine has.
- Ideal for making garments that require a lot of cutting—especially when working with materials such as cotton.
- Ideal for creating activewear.
- The larger loops allow for thicker styles of thread to be used.
- This Juki overlock machine is noticeably quieter than many machines made by its competitors.
- This machine is perfect for users with arthritis or sight issues that would need help threading an overlock.
- Like most overlock machines, this one only sews on the left side of its needles, which will require extra forethought when planning out sewing projects.
- The price is medium to high-budget.
Ideal for: For users who seek Juki’s quality over other brands.
Juki MO654DE overlocker has the power of a commercial overlock for a very reasonable price, so if you’re looking for a 4 thread overlock that can handle heavy-duty fabrics you’ve found your machine. You’ll find that the knife cutter can go through thick fabric like it was butter.
It works with regular needles for both thin and thick fabrics and is very easy to the thread once you’ve learned how to do that. In addition, you will notice that the professional quality of the stitches makes your designs look of the highest standard and that it handles the curves quite well.
If you ever owned another brand, you’d find that this one exceeds the overall performance of the competition. This is also a good choice for beginners who are willing to find the time to learn how to use it. A very good option for a simple but hardworking overlock sewing machine without sacrificing speed.
Last but not least, know that this model also has suction cups to help the system withstand shock, making it quieter and more stable, thereby adding precision and quality to the stitches.
- Flatlock Stich capability.
- Handles curves flawlessly.
- High speed saving you time without missing quality.
- Quite quiet and stable for a serger thanks to its suction cups.
- No tray for trimmings
Some other articles you may want to read: