As with any new hobby, getting a beginner Brother sewing machine to learn all the little tricks takes time and patience. It’ll make you a better sewer and soon you’ll be able to fix and even avoid common mistakes.
A great way to master this skill from the very beginning is to watch online videos with your Brother sewing machine in front of you. Follow the steps and listen to the advice every beginner should carefully follow. Soon you’ll realize that patience and practice are key to master this hobby.
Top 9 Best Brother Sewing Machine for Beginners Reviews
Perfect for beginners of all ages. You’ll get a nice little machine perfect for everyday sewing and mending with its free arm even on cuffs and hems.
You can save time and eyesight when using the automatic needle threader that actually pushes thread through the needle like a breeze unlike some other models in the same price range.
Another feature to note is the drop-in bobbin system that allows you to easily load it up with thread and easily check – thanks to the clear case-, when you are running out of it helping you plan ahead of your project.
- Reverse sewing lever for a professional finish.
- Portable, lightweight, and easy to store.
- Great for beginners.
- Good for apliqué.
- Avoid sewing heavy-duty fabrics.
As a beginner you want to do plenty of research before deciding on a machine, you want something that is going to be easy enough in the short term but sophisticated enough to use for more advanced projects in the long term.
The Brother CS6000i offers you the two requisites. It’s sturdy, well-designed, easy to store away and it offers loads of the more advanced features. The speed slider for instance will help you put all your focus on handling the fabric alone or give you the right constant speed while you are learning how to sew or free-motion quilts. It also comes with a needle threader that becomes a joy to use with practice reviving your love for sewing.
Honestly, this computerized sewing machine is a very good value for very little money.
- Hard protective case included.
- A wide table is included.
- Speed Slider.
- Twin Needle feature.
- None for the price.
If you’re intimidated by this whole new world and by computerized machines, this is a simple, very simple, mechanical sewing machine that will be the delight of any newbie.
Forget about changing thread width or length and focus on actually learning how to sew with this affordable beauty. This machine is perfect for you as a beginner, not complicated at all! Besides, it has a great price to invest in your new hobby.
Excellent value! Oh! Did I say that it comes in three different colors?
- Amazing basic sewing machine to start this hobby.
- The best model for the newbie who doesn’t know where to start.
- Super easy to sew with it.
- Not for heavy projects, light materials only.
This machine is simple enough for the absolute beginner but advanced enough to keep growing your skills for years to come. Packed with features and loads of different stitches, it will be a great option to make sewing your new hobby.
If the main purpose of getting a new machine is to make simple clothes, everyday mending, or having it stored for last-minute repairs, this is a great machine at a very reasonable price. As a sewing machine, it’s a workhorse and a dream to use. As a quilting machine, it can be a good starting point for newbies who want a lightweight model to take to their beginner lessons, although it isn’t the best option for expert quilters.
A brilliant feature you get with this model is the monogramming font, to perfectly add a child’s name or initials to any garment. Super convenient for moms.
- Start/Stop button to make it run without the foot pedal.
- Sewing font for basic monogramming.
- Drop feed dogs for free-motion sewing and quilting.
- Needle threader that saves you time and cares for your eyesight.
- Drop-in bobbin system with a transparent cover to see when you are running out of thread.
- Extension table for larger projects.
- The lighting is a bit dim.
- The bobbin winder doesn’t always load the thread evenly.
What you’ll love about the Brother XR3774 is that, at a very competitive price, you get a mechanical machine with plenty of feet, including a walking foot.
If you add that to the also included extension table, you get the perfect machine for beginners who want to start quilting. If you’d try to buy these as additional items the price would sky-rocket.
- Comes with a walking foot among some other feet.
- Perfect for practicing your sewing and quilting skills.
- Clear bobbin case to see how much thread is left before loading it up again.
- Included extension table, easy to attach.
- No hard case included.
The Brother ST371HD can be a great starter option for several reasons.
One, the price is affordable for any pocket. Two, the selection of basic stitches is more than enough for any beginner who wants to start creating their first garments. And three, it’s right in the middle between a very plasticky and lightweight $100 kids machine, and a more professional home machine at a much higher price.
This machine comes with some advanced features of which we could question its real utility and quality, such as the automatic needle threader or the fact that it’s supposedly designed to sew heavier fabrics. Nevertheless and as far as I’m concerned, any beginner should always learn how to use a very basic mechanical sewing machine before skipping steps through more advanced features.
Every sewer should learn how to thread and re-thread a machine without the help of a threader. You should also be dealing first with lightweight fabrics and all the potential issues that it can bring, like matching the right needle to the right fabric, before trying to sew heavier projects. And you should understand that for the basic functions and for the price, this is an excellent choice for any newbie.
- Free Arm for sewing cuffs and sleeves.
- Drop Feed Dogs.
- An excellent choice for lightweight and medium fabrics and a low budget.
- It comes with a Teflon or non-stick foot to use with slippery fabrics.
- For a beginner who wants to start sewing, I can’t find a real one. For an amateur that already knows what she’s doing, I would suggest using a walking foot for heavier materials.
The Brother SE600 is excellent for first-time users to sew and embroider since it’s super easy to learn how to use its features. I can’t think of a better sewing machine with embroidery capabilities for a beginner or a cheaper price for the value and performance of the product.
Lastly, know that there are a few fun versions of this model for beginners. They both have all the features Brother SE600 includes plus 3 interchangeable face panels and 10 added embroidery designs integrated. One is inspired by the Star Wars saga, while the other by the Marvel comics and movies.
- Create your own decorative stitches
- Low budget price
- Low learning curve
- Free Arm
- Small embroidery hoop
The Brother XM1010 is another good model for beginners that we’ve included in this list since it’s a very basic sewing machine with a good rate and capabilities.
Don’t miss out on the Brother XM2701, sometimes you may find it listed for a similar price and it actually has more stitches included.
If you want a similar option that’s including a walking foot and an extension table to start quilting soon, check out Brother XR3774. If you already have those accessories and you’re ok with 10 less stitches, Brother XM1010 is your machine.
- Streamline machine, suited for beginners who want to sew with a very basic sewing machine and truly learn how everything works.
- A good option for occasional and simple household sewing jobs without all the bells and whistles.
- It’s a sturdy and hard-working machine for the price.
- Avoid buying if you have vision issues since it’s lacking a built-in threader and its small size will make it difficult for you to thread it.
Decent sewing machine for beginners learning how to sew. It works great when sewing light fabric and not more than 4-5 layers. In the end, this is not heavy duty machine, but for basic sewing and mending, it is quite good and affordable.
Although it feels a bit plasticky, understand the price you pay and accept that the metal-made models start at triple the price. Apart from this obvious fact, Brother XM2701 is well-designed, easy to use, and intuitive enough for a newbie.
For a similar price and some more added feet, check the Brother XR3774 sewing machine.
- Good price for more decorative stitches than average.
- A good amount of presser feet included.
- Not for many layers or heavier materials.
Brother Sewing Machines for Beginners Comparison Chart
*Speed Per Minute: referring to the number of stitches a machine can perform in a minute.
Some other articles you may want to read: